Fun with Fido: Spring activities for you and your dog
Posted on 26 Mar 2010 by Nicole
Pet Palooza is one of many things you can do with your dog this spring. Photo by Jeff Lemons
Spring is in the air. I saw cherry blossoms in bloom for the first time today and the extra hour of sunlight that Daylight Savings Time brings is well worth the hour of sleep lost. For me, spring also means I can find a lot more things to do in Charlotte with my dogs. For those of you looking for ways to spend the day with your pooch out on the town, here is a list of things you should check out.
- Mecklenburg County dog parks and greenways — With five dog parks and 13 greenways throughout Mecklenburg County, there are plenty of places for you to take your dog for a walk, a run or let your pooch meet new friends. If you’re going to use the dog parks, keep in mind that dogs and owners must follow all posted dog park rules, and dogs must meet all guidelines and maintain current vaccinations (Rabies with Tag Number, DHLPP & Bordetella).
- Dogswalk Against Cancer- Help raise money and awareness for the fight against both human and animal cancers. This non-competitive walk-a-thon takes place April 3, 2010 in the parking lot at Canine Cafe Charlotte (1447 South Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC 28203). Registration starts at 8:00 a.m. and the walk begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Bark in the Park — The 2010 Pedigree Bark in the Parkis probably the largest dog event in Charlotte. Bark in the Park will be at Metrolina Expo (7100 Statesville Road — site of the old fairgrounds) on April 24, 2010 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Last year Bark in the Park drew an estimated 14,500 people, most with dogs. Between now and March 19 you can enter your pooch in the Top Dog Photo Contest. The Top Dog and owner will receive a professional portrait by Tianna Fisher, a year’s supply of dog food and be grand marshals of the Pooch Parade at Bark in the Park. At the event you can enter dog contests like Best Costume, Best Bark, Largest Dog, Smallest Dog, Best Trick, Throw and Catch, and Disc Long-Shot Catch. All dogs must enter on a leash. Admission and parking are FREE.
- Charlotte Pet Expo — For the first time the Pet Expo franchise is coming to Charlotte. The Charlotte Pet Expowill be May 8, 2010 at the Cabarrus Arena (4751 NC Hwy 49 North, Concord, NC 28025). Your pet is welcome to attend with you if current on immunizations and on a fixed lead. The expo will feature guest speakers, stage entertainment, tips/tricks, agility courses, training demonstrations, character greetings, book signings, contests, prize giveaways, pet services, products, and exhibitors.
- Pet Palooza — The Humane Society of Charlotte’s annual fundraising walk, pet festival and inaugural Kennelly 5K run. Enjoy a one mile dog walk or Kennelly 5K run, entertainment, vendor fair, fido fashion show, a silent auction, and refreshments, all while supporting homeless pets. Saturday, May 15, 2010 (rain date June 5th) from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. at Independence Park (300 Hawthorne Lane, Charlotte).
Hope to see you and your pooch around Charlotte!