Eyewitnesses report on US Airways flight 1549 crash, Charlotte-bound
Posted on 15 Jan 2009 by Justin Ruckman
As new information surfaces we’ll update here.
In short: US Airways flight 1549 crashed at 3:03 pm eastern, shortly after taking off, into the Hudson River, the result of colliding with a flock of geese. All passengers were able to escape.
Witnesses with cameras and twitter accounts broke the news first. Here are some of the most notable sources.
- Janis Krums (@jkrums on Twitter) broke some of the first news with this picture:
- Gregory Lan was nearby and has taken a lot of pictures. You can find them all on his Flickr account, or see a couple of the best below:
- Heather Dueitt (@hdueitt on Twitter) saw the aftermath of the crash from her office building a block away and walked down to the river, where she talked to other witnesses.
- Dennis Stratton (@dhstratton27 on Twitter) also witnessed the crash from outside his window.
- See the Huffington Post’s extensive overview coverage, interviews with survivors, and interviews with witnesses. Their sources are a mix of citizens and mainstream media.